Tenant & Landlord FAQs


Landlord FAQs

  • Central City Rentals will tailor a package to your personal needs, the individual property, your budget, and level of management.

You don’t have to. We will collect our commissions upon rent receipt.

Funds are direct credited into your account monthly or twice monthly – you choose. A monthly statement detailing rent collected and disbursements made on your behalf will be emailed or posted to you. You will also receive a complete Income & Expenditure statement for accounting.

We heavily subsidise this cost, and only on charge $20 to advertise on numerous websites including Trademe, google ads & Facebook, which has more than 3000 followers, reaching tens of thousands of applicants.

No, we only charge commission on rent collected, so it is in our interest as well as yours to have the property tenanted for top rent.

We recommend you take out landlord insurance with a certified landlord insurer, this along with our services can guarantee you are covered for loss of rents. Contact us for more information.

We use a range of contractors who are highly skilled, competitively priced and quick to respond to our calls. If you prefer any particular tradesperson you know we would be pleased to accommodate this.

Inspections are carried out on a regular basis, every 12 weeks to comply with most insurance companies. However, these can be tailored to your specific needs.

We only focus on exclusive quality property management; however, we do have close relationships with numerous real estate agents,

  • we can connect you
  • we can provide a rental appraisal for sale purposes
  • we will complete all legislated requirements to the tenant upon listing and subsequent sale
  • we can facilitate real estate viewings, final bond and pre-settlement inspections & key hand over

Central City Rentals rent collection is computer monitored daily with a dedicated Australasian Property management software system enabling us to act very quickly when a rent payment is missed. The debt recovery process commences immediately. Whilst we take every possible action to resolve the matter with the tenant immediately, it may be necessary to take the tenant through the Mediation process or to the Tenancy Tribunal.

Yes. The Residential Tenancies Act requires that no more than four weeks bond be collected.


Before you move in

Bond is money that a landlord can ask tenants to pay as security when they move into a property. This is usually paid before you move in. Your landlord or property manager are then required to lodge the bond within 23 working days with Tenancy Services (a division of Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment). Tenancy Services hold the bond in trust until the end of the tenancy.

Once Tenancy Services has received the bond, they will write to the property manager and to you (the tenant) confirming that they are holding the bond money. A bond number will be issued for both parties’ records.

If you pay your rent in full and take care of the property, you should receive a full refund at the end of your tenancy. Otherwise, your bond can be used to cover costs such as unpaid rent or damage to property.

Important notes about bond: Your bond must not exceed four weeks’ rent. Your bond must be lodged with the Tenancy Services – you landlord or property manager cannot hold this during your tenancy.

Find out what utility connections need to be made to the property, like power, gas, internet and phone. You can sort these yourself, or employ a free service like Moving Hub or Fast Connect who will find the best plan to suit your personal needs and will organise for your utilities to be moved to the property on your behalf.


It is highly recommended that tenants have contents insurance for their possessions in case of a burglary, fire, flood or any other issue. The decision or whether to have insurance or not is up to the tenant.

During a tenancy

We inspect properties every three to four months, and we will write to you to let you know a date and time. You are welcome to be present, but if you are unable to be there, please let us know and we will bring our own key.

If you find yourself in an emergency situation – whereby the safety of yourself as a tenant or the integrity of the building you rent are at risk – please call the appropriate services on 111, and then notify Central City Rentals as soon as possible.


  1. Call our office on 07 347 2121
  2. Call or text your Property Manager

We encourage you to pay your rent on payday by automatic payment to our trust account.

Please lodge a request for repairs with us, and we will action a work order. If urgent, the tradesman will be there on the day. Please allow 48 hours for normal maintenance issues.

Hopefully this doesn’t happen, but we do know it is a fact of life. You will be aware this is going to occur and should inform us before you miss a rent payment, so we can discuss a repayment plan and put it in place immediately.

Uninformed rent arrears will be treated seriously – a 10-day letter will be issued followed by an application to Tenancy Services.

As the tenant, you should keep your keys with you at all times. A tenant may wish to make an arrangement with someone they trust to keep a spare key for them. An alternative suggestion is to have a lock box hidden carefully at the property for a spare key.

If you find yourself locked out during office hours, your property manager may be able to assist you. If it is after hours or a weekend, you will need to arrange a locksmith at your own expense and let their property manager know via email, text or phone call. A new set of keys will need to be provided to the property manager when a lock has needed to be changed.

As the tenant, you are required to tell your property manager straight away if something needs to be repaired or maintained, regardless of who is responsible for causing the damage. Most issues become worse over time and it is best to attend to problems as soon as they are identified. If a tenant or a landlord is required to fix something but doesn’t, the other party can issue them with a 14-day notice to remedy. This gives them 14 days to get the work done. Tenants can’t refuse to pay rent while waiting for the landlord to fix something, but can try to negotiate a temporary rent reduction with their landlord.

It is important for tenants to be mindful that some neighbours will be more sensitive to noise than others. Noise should always be kept to a minimum if possible. Should there be a problem with noise from others in the neighbourhood, the tenant is encouraged to deal with this issue in a neighbourly way, by asking for it to be turned down. If not, there are Council regulations that detail what is acceptable regarding noise and what is not. If the property causing the noise problems is also owned by your landlord, you can speak to your landlord about the issue.

After the tenancy

At the final inspection, a property manager will record the condition of the property and compare it to the initial inspection (fair wear and tear excepted). It is important that a property is left in a reasonably clean and tidy condition for the next tenants. If you need assistance with cleaning, your property manager may know of a good cleaning contractor to help you. The services the contractor provides would be at your own cost. We have provided the attached sample checklist for cleaning and vacating the property to assist in the moving out process. Each property management company will have their own and it is important to familiarise yourself with those requirements.

Before you move out remember to:

  • clean the kitchen sink and benches
  • clean the oven inside and out
  • clean the kitchen cupboards inside and out
  • clean the dishwasher (where provided)
  • clean the bathtub, shower, basin and toilet
  • clean underneath the oven and fridge
  • clean light shades and light switches
  • wash walls and ceilings, particularly in the kitchen and bathroom
  • wash window sills, including the water channels on any aluminium windows and doors
  • wash windows inside and out
  • wash all lino and non-carpeted floors
  • clean all carpets
  • remove all household and garden rubbish as well as personal belongings, including from under the house or in sheds, garages or attic
  • tidy and weed the garden, weed spray around any paths or driveways
  • mow lawns and sweep paths

Don’t forget to:

  • arrange for your electricity, gas, phone and internet to be disconnected
  • arrange for your final power and phone accounts to go to your new address
  • tell your friends and family your new address and phone number
  • fill out a change of address form from your local Post Shop
  • lock the house or flat when you leave and return your keys to us
  • pay your rent up to the date that you leave – call us if you have any questions.

Please note that if the home is not left in a clean and tidy you may be charged some or all of the cost of bringing it up to a reasonably clean and tidy condition and rentable standard for the next tenants.

Your property manager is a good source of information on renting and each property management office will have their own requirements. Tenancy Services provide great information on renting – 0800 TENANCY (0800 836 262) or you may prefer to visit their website – www.tenancy.govt.nz.